Monday, August 25, 2008

Inspiration By The Ocean

Have you ever noticed...how vacations come & go so quickly?!? "Crabby Dick" & I just returned from a mini-vacation in Gloucester, MA. Being by the ocean is so inspirational & rejuvenating for my spirit! How can you not be inspired with all the beautiful sites. While in Gloucester, we spent time looking for a summer home...a little getaway to call our own.

The crochet & knit projects came along on vacation (of course). I needed a suitcase just to bring up the projects! Surprisingly...a lot of progress was made. Afghan squares were completed for the American Angels group, Kelly's crocheted afghan is almost finished & little Nick's knitted cardi is about halfway done...Will post pictures on Ravelry. I don't know how I got so much accomplished, because we really spent time enjoying the beauty that is Gloucester...Lots of walks at the beach, through the parks, etc. Rich & I really enjoy nature & the natural beauty of Gloucester. I must have been a sea captain in a previous life...lol! There's something about that salty air.

One thought (of many) on vacation was...Just how many fiber artists that attended the Knit & Crochet show in Manchester have applied the techniques they have learned in the classes they attended? I'm very curious about this. If anyone would like to post in comments, I'd love to hear the responses. I really want to experiment with the wonderful techniques that I learned this year. One of many great classes was Darla Fanton's Entrelac In The Round. The Entrelac Bag is blocking & I can't wait to finish this. I'd also like to work on the Illusion Crochet technique (another great class by Darla)! & Myra Wood's Freeform Creative Lace as well.

Til the next post...

4 comments:

PJ said...

Karen=

Can't wait to see your bag!

I finished my felted entrelac bowl from the conference. I want to make a bag, but it's going to have to wait until I get some other projects under control. I also used the seaming techniques I learned on a current project. So, I've been using the techniques learned this year.

Maybe it's time to revisit last years conference projects (which
are still UFO's!).

Karen said...

Sounds like you had a great time -- makes me nostalgic for some fried clams! We had a place on the Cape (Chatham) for many years and still miss it. These days the ocean comes in Outer Banks, NC flavor.

Margaret's Hooks and Needles said...

Hi Karen,

Your mini vacation sounds delightful and congratulations on the shawl.

Margaret

Perry said...

Karen, I'm definitely using what I learned at CGOA! All the techniques are giving me whole new avenues to explore.

Glad you enjoyed Gloucester-- it is a lovely area!

-Perry-
perrylowell@gmail.com
ravelry = perry